Friday, July 24, 2009



Got a chance to watch the El Paso fighter Antonio Escalante fight on ESPN2 tonight. I had never watched in him in action and was impressed with the way he handled the veteran opponent Cornelius Locke. ESPN analyst,Teddy Atlas, made good comments about the El Paso crowd and it looks like Escalante might get a title shot in the near future. I miss yelling at the screen with my brothers and my dad after a fighter gets knocked down or is cut. I have loved boxing since I was a little kid when my dad used to take us to watch fights at Memorial Coliseum. I still remember cheering for Corpus Christi legends Frankie Panchito Warren, Roberto Elizondo, and Jesse Benavidez. My brother David is a huge boxing fan who can give you breakdown of all the divisions with the skill of an HBO analyst. Greatest fight memories: any Sugar Ray Leonard fights (cause we hated him so much), Alexis Arguello losing to Aaron Pryor (I cried when Alexis lost), Roberto Duran saying "No Mas, the Gatti-Ward fights, the rise and fall of Mike Tyson. Hope to continue the tradition my father started with my own son. Hopefully we'll be watching Escalante fight for the title soon.

No comments: