Thursday, May 20, 2010

Families In Crisis 5k Run


I just registered for the Lee and Beulah Moore 8th annual 5k run. The run will be held at the Sunland Park Racetrack this Saturday at 8am. The course is mainly flat and is pretty easy on the old knees. The race benefits the Lee and Beulah Moore homes in El Paso.

The organization provides a wide range of services and programs for families in the El Paso Region in need of child support and care. Great cause and a great way to get back onto the running scene. My last race was the El Paso Half Marathon so it is about time I get in gear to train for my next half-marathon. My registration is already paid for so there is no turning back now.

Next week I will be running the Run Tony Run 5k for the first time. Hopefully I can get the running bug back and mark off a wide variety of races this summer. I read a great article (blog) in the Corpus Christi Caller Times that focused on the fact that many runners simply stop running after competing in the Beach To Bay Relay marathon. This is exactly what happened to me after I ran the El Paso half-marathon. Great feeling completing the race then I just let the shoes gather dust in the closet. Finding the time to run has always been my excuse. I know it isn't a really good one but I have to believe there is more to my lack of training than just plain old laziness. The trick for me is to stay motivated. It helps when I register and pay for a race because that makes me determined to not quit a race before I even start.

My daughter Jazz has started to run on the track and seems to like trying to beat me. Looking into summer track club for her to join this summer. This is the first sport that she actually seems interested in. Not going to bring out the stop watch just yet but hoping that she has fun and enjoys racing against other kids. This is going to be a busy summer.

No comments: