Monday, May 17, 2010

Races for May


Run El Paso Website (click pic to get link)

I hate to admit it but I have been lazy as heck when it comes to lacing up the running shoes and heading out the door to get my training runs in. I haven't had a race since the El Paso Half Marathon in March. I wish I had a great excuse like a pulled muscle or a broken leg but sadly I have just been to lazy to get going again. Some high school friends ran the Beach To Bay Relay Marathon in Corpus Christi this past weekend and that got the old competitive juices flowing again. I used to love running Beach To Bay when I was living in Corpus and I guess seeing pictures online of all those people getting after it motivated me to start running again. I had planned to run the Braden Aboud 5k this past weekend but didn't want to set a new record for slowest time in a 5k. Have set my sights instead on running the Family in Crisis 5k this weekend and then finishing the Run Tony Run 5k at the end of the month.

My biggest problem is finding time to get my runs in so I will really have to work at dragging myself out of bed in the morning and logging at least 6 miles before I get ready for work. Hopefully I will be able to find a half marathon in the next few months or if I get the courage I will try to complete my first marathon . Running a half or full marathon seem a little far fetched right now but I know once I get started I will be able to knock one of these out in a few months.

The runners blog website has great stories of runners of all skill levels trying to achieve the same goals. I found two great blogs on this site that get me motivated to run even when I am too lazy to hit the pavement. Trail Zombie and 5ks and Cabernets are two blogs that are worth a visit. I will add a running log to my blog to keep me motivated (idea I got from another blog). Race Adventures also is a good site for finding races in El Paso.Just have to put one foot in front of the other and get started. No excuses.

No comments: